When people imagine the Fourth of July, they often picture red, white, and blue, barbecues and pool parties, and fireworks. If you plan to light fireworks this Fourth of July, it is important to educate yourself on firework safety. Read on to learn some of the most important tips.
Preparing to Light Fireworks
Before lighting fireworks, there are a number of precautions to take, including:
- Do not buy fireworks that come in brown paper. They are for professionals and should not be used in small neighborhoods.
- Make sure adults are present and children never access fireworks alone
- Keep water nearby, such as a hose, in the event that a fire starts
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never light fireworks in a glass or metal container
- Be sure that fireworks are legal in your area before buying them
- Keep your pets inside so they do not become scared or hurt
What do I Need to Know About Lighting Fireworks?
Once you ensure that the scene is safe, your work is not yet done. It is important to keep yourself and those around by safe by:
- Wearing eye protection at all times
- Only lighting one firework at a time
- Never lighting fireworks indoors
- Never lighting fireworks in your hand
- Making sure all spectators are at a safe distance away from the display
- Quickly backing a safe distance away after lighting the display
- Not throwing or pointing fireworks at another person
- Never picking up and relighting a firework if it did not properly combust
- After a firework goes off, waiting 20 minutes then douse it with cool water
- Never consuming drugs or alcohol while lighting fireworks
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you need and deserve, you will have to file your claim on time. In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve. Reach out to an experienced attorney to avoid missing any important deadlines.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!