Taking the stairs is a common aspect of our daily lives. But, stairwells can be more dangerous than you may realize. In fact, if not properly maintained, stairwells can cause serious accidents. If you have been injured in a stairwell accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more.
How do Stairwell Accidents Occur?
For the most part, stairwell accidents can be traced back to negligence. The most common accidents are due to:
- Uneven spacing between steps
- Insufficiently lit stairwells
- Damaged stairs
- Defective or broken railings
- Lack of security
What do I do if an Accident Occurs?
If you have been injured in a stairwell accident, be sure to take the following steps:
- Call 911
- The police can send an ambulance to the scene and file an accident report.
- Document the scene
- Take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. If possible, document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts
- If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their contact information, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention
- After an accident, many people try to recover on their own. This is a bad idea for a number of reasons. First of all, it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, without medical attention, your injury may not heal properly. Lastly, going to the hospital will provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Reach out to an experienced attorney
- A personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including police reports, security camera footage, and more.
What is the Statute of Limitations?
In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve.
If you have been injured in a stairwell accident, reach out to our experienced firm today. We are here to advocate for you and walk you through each step of the process.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!