In the United States, a car accident occurs every 60 seconds. Because accidents occur so often, it is important to know how they happen so you can know what to avoid. Read on for more information regarding car accidents in New Jersey and what you should do if you are involved in an accident.
How do Accidents Occur?
Car accidents can occur for a number of reasons. Some of these reasons include faulty car parts, hazardous road conditions, and inclement weather. But, for the most part, accidents are caused by driver negligence. The most common examples of negligence include:
- Making illegal turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Otherwise driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
What do I do if I am Involved in an Accident?
If you are involved in an accident, you will want to take the following steps:
- Call 911. The police can file a report, gather witness statements, and take chemical tests. These things will all come in handy when it comes to determining fault. The police will also call an ambulance for you.
- While waiting for the ambulance, you should respectfully exchange insurance information with the other party. Additionally, you will want to document the scene. Take photos and videos of the damage done to all vehicles.
- Go to the hospital. Even if you do not feel injured, you should seek medical attention. Sometimes, you can sustain an injury without being aware, or have an injury that does not show symptoms until days or weeks later.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. A personal injury attorney can help you gather more evidence and help you recover the compensation you deserve.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you wish to take legal action, you will have to file your personal injury claim in time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. Generally, in New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is two years. This means if you fail to file within two years from the date of the accident, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover compensation.
If you or a loved one is injured in a car accident, contact an experienced personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an automobile accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!