Supermarket Liability Attorney in Parsippany, New Jersey
Whether you love grocery shopping or hate it, you probably don’t consider it “dangerous,” by any stretch of the imagination. Unfortunately, supermarket accidents happen more frequently than you may think, and oftentimes, they result in serious, potentially catastrophic injuries. Fortunately, in many cases, with an experienced personal injury attorney by your side, you can sue the party responsible so you can focus solely on what matters most: recovering. Contact Lutz Injury Law today to learn more about how we can help you through the legal process going forward.
Primary Causes of Supermarket Accidents
Supermarkets, contrary to popular belief, present shoppers with a wide array of potential safety hazards, especially if the supermarket staff or management neglects to ensure the premises are safe for all who come and go. Though there are several causes of supermarket accidents, some of the most common are as follows:
- Slip and fall accidents due to spills in aisles or restrooms left unattended
- Unstable displays
- Defective automatic entrance and exit doors
- Loose produce or items falling from shelves
- Spoiled food left for unsuspecting customers to purchase or sample
- Trip and fall accidents, often due to poorly placed (or missing) floor mats
What To Do After a Supermarket Accident
After a supermarket accident, you should take several steps to maximize your chances of winning a personal injury lawsuit. Those steps are as follows:
- Call 911. There is nothing more important than your health, and by calling 911, you ensure an ambulance will shortly arrive at the scene, transporting you to the nearest hospital for treatment.
- That being said, you will most likely have at least a couple minutes until the ambulance arrives, which you should use to your advantage. After calling the police, you should immediately notify store management, who will write a store incident report on your behalf.
- Once you call a manager, you should take pictures of the accident, its aftermath, and any safety hazard that caused your accident. This is some of the most useful evidence in proving personal injury claims.
- Gather witness contact information, if at all possible. Oftentimes, witnesses play a crucial role in personal injury claims, which is why after an accident, you should politely ask any witnesses for their name, phone number, and email. In many cases, you can even ask them for a written or verbally-recorded recounting of the accident on the spot.
- After the ambulance takes you to the hospital for treatment and you are in stable condition, ask your doctor for all medical documentation concerning your injuries and their extent. You may use this information to further bolster your claim.
- Finally, you should hire an attorney who can gather and present the evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof. Simply put, to win a claim, your attorney will have to prove that you were injured as a direct result of another party’s negligence, which is oftentimes far easier said than done. For example, though nowadays, supermarkets have surveillance footage everywhere, you may find the supermarket owner refuses to turn over the footage of your accident. Our firm can subpoena that footage, something civilians cannot do. The bottom line is that our firm will tirelessly work to prove your claim and win you the compensation you deserve.
Recovering Compensation After a Supermarket Accident
When an individual wins a personal injury claim, they are awarded financial compensation to help cover the cost of any financial burdens incurred as a result of the accident. This compensation may go towards economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages can include the cost of medical bills, lost wages, lost future wages, rehabilitation, and more. Non-economic damages can include pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of independence, loss of enjoyment of life, and more.
Contact our New Jersey firm
Lutz Injury Law understands that those wrongly injured in supermarket accidents often face substantial physical, financial, and emotional burdens as a result. That is why we are solely dedicated to helping you, the client, achieve the swift, speedy recovery you deserve. For aggressive legal representation when you need it most, contact Lutz Injury Law today.