Bicycle Accident Attorney in Parsippany, NJ
Most motorists understand that cyclists also have a right to taxpayer-funded roads. Maintaining a safe clearance between bicycles and motor vehicles is the responsibility of both drivers and cyclists. Unfortunately, road rage is common, yet totally unacceptable, as is driving without regard to those who choose a more eco-friendly mode of transport. In the U.S. alone, there are some 45,000 reported bicycle accidents per year. Research has shown that the actual total, which includes unreported accidents, may be as much as ten times higher.
Motor vehicles typically weigh thousands of pounds more than cyclists, which is why in a collision between the two, the cyclist almost always comes out worse. The resulting injuries can range from minor cuts and bruises to serious head injuries, even when wearing a helmet. In the worst cases, bicycle accidents can result in permanent disabilities, or worse. If you have been seriously injured in a Morris County bicycle accident, you must consider your legal options going forward. Lutz Injury Law is here to fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact Lutz Injury Law today to learn how we can assist you.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can be caused by a wide range of factors. To prove an accident case, the victim must first determine the official cause of the accident. Upon proving liability, the injured party may recover significant compensation for the physical, emotional, and financial burdens associated with their accident. Some of the many causes of New Jersey bicycle accidents include the following:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Poor visibility
- Lack of cycling lane
- Poor weather conditions
- Potholes or uneven pavement
- Slippery substances
What Should I Do If I’m Injured in a Bicycle Accident?
If you are a regular cyclist, you must be prepared for the worst. If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, you should do the following:
- Depending on the severity and circumstances of the accident, do not leave the scene before speaking with the police. Oftentimes, people do not realize they are injured until hours later, or even the next day.
- Avoid contact with the driver as much as possible, and say as little as possible. Do not try and negotiate with the driver. Very often, these motorists will immediately accept blame for the accident, only to recant later in following their legal counsel’s direction.
- Find any nearby witnesses and ask them for their contact information. Witness testimony is extremely valuable, so ensure you receive their phone number, email, business card, or any other means of reaching them later on.
- Take photos of the accident with your mobile phone. Make sure you record a view of the vehicle as well as the damage to your bicycle.
- Contact an experienced bicycle accident lawyer or attorney as soon as possible to seek proper legal counsel.
Contact a Morris County Bicycle Accident Attorney
When someone is injured in a New Jersey bicycle accident, they may face a long and expensive road to recovery. In times like these, you need to have a strong legal team on your side. If you have been the victim of a bicycle accident in New Jersey, you can count on Lutz Injury Law to help you navigate the personal injury claims process. To discuss your bicycle accident case with a legal team you can trust, contact Lutz Injury Law today.