If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you will likely want to file a personal injury claim. Read on to learn more about starting this process, what you can expect from an initial consultation, and how you can be prepared to meet with your attorney for the first time.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim in New Jersey?
If you wish to file a personal injury claim, it is important to begin the process as soon as possible. This is because in each state, there is a specific deadline by which you must file. This deadline is referred to as a statute of limitations. In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is two years after your accident. If you miss the deadline, you may no longer be eligible to receive compensation. One of the first steps when beginning the legal process is an initial consultation.
What Should I Bring to an Initial Consultation?
The purpose of an initial consultation is to familiarize your attorney with your case. In order to do this, there are some important documents you will want to bring. These documents may include:
- A detailed write-up of the events of your accident and the following events
- Proof of your accident, including any photos/videos, and contact information of witnesses
- The police report if the police were called
- Medical documents detailing the origin and extent of your injuries
- Receipts detailing the cost of any medical expenses you incurred
- Statements regarding the amount of time you missed from work due to your injury
- Your health insurance information and any other relevant insurance information
- A list of questions you have for your attorney
What Will I Be Asked?
To better understand your case, your attorney will ask you questions. You should be prepared to answer the following:
- Your official prognosis, as diagnosed by your doctor
- How your injuries have impacted your everyday life
- Whether you have had any contact with the other party or their insurance company
- Whether you have given a statement to your insurance company
- If you have filed a personal injury claim in the past
If you have any questions regarding your case or an initial consultation, do not hesitate to reach out to Lutz Injury Law.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an automobile accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!