While bicycles are a simple method of transportation, it is important to remember that they can also be dangerous. This is because they offer their riders little to no protection from hazards on the road, such as other vehicles. In the event that an accident were to happen, it could result in severe injuries or possibly death. It is because of this that it is crucial for bikers to implement the proper safety measures at all times to protect themselves. Due to the fact that May is National Bicycle Safety Month, our experienced New Jersey law firm created a list of safety tips to follow while out riding:
- Make sure the bike is ready to be ridden before taking it out on the road. Bikes have several parts that need to work in conjunction with one another so it can be ridden. This can involve checking to see that it is in good condition, checking the brakes, filling the tires to the proper air pressure, and more.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic. Bikers should also use the correct hand signals to let motor vehicles know where they are going. This may be if they are making a turn or switching lanes.
- Always wear a helmet. Any helmet does the job, however, it is best to have one that meets the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards.
- Obey all rules and regulations of the road. This includes obeying all traffic signs and traffic lights, not biking under the influence, and more.
- Make yourself visible. Wear bright colors when riding so that other vehicles can see you as you go. This should also be done at nighttime in addition to wearing reflective gear so you can be seen in the dark.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Accidents can happen in many ways. While this is true, it is your job as a rider to do everything you can to prevent it, such as paying attention to your surroundings and following the rules of the road.
These are all important tips to remember as you start to take your bike out for a ride. They can protect you from unnecessary injuries. However, the reality of the situation is that these accidents can happen anyway. In the event that you are involved in an accident and injured due to negligence, it is possible to recover compensation for damages. When pursuing legal action, be sure to retain the services of an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney for assistance.
Contact our Firm
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an automobile accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!