When we get in someone’s car, we expect that they will drive safely and get us to our destination without incident. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Car accidents happen often in New Jersey, and their results can be devastating. An injury can impact you mentally, physically, emotionally, and financially. If you are injured in a car accident, you may need compensation to alleviate these burdens. So, can you recover compensation as the passenger in a car accident? Read on to learn more.
How Do Car Accidents Occur?
Car accidents can occur for any number of reasons. Many of these accidents are caused by negligence. Some of the most common examples of negligence include:
- Making illegal turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Otherwise driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to do so, you will have to provide proof that this negligence occurred. After an accident occurs, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911
- The police can file an accident report detailing who was driving, how the accident occurred, and more. They can also conduct chemical tests and gather witness statements, which can be extremely useful when it comes to a personal injury case.
- Document the scene
- It is important to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Each person in the car should take their own photos. Make sure to document the damage done to the cars/property involved in the accident.
- Obtain witness contacts
- Often, the driver and the passenger do not agree on the events of the accident. If someone saw the accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention
- You should visit the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after an accident. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
If you have been injured in a car accident due to the negligence of a driver, contact our firm today to discuss your case with an experienced attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!