Car accidents occur often. It may come as a surprise, but texting and driving is the leading cause of car accidents in the U.S., surpassing drunk driving accidents. In fact, according to the Federal Communication Commission, texting while driving is six times more likely to cause a car accident than drunk driving. Read on for more information about texting and driving accidents and what to do in the event that an injury occurs.
What Do I Do After an Accident
If you are injured in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof of this negligence. You can do this by:
- Calling 911. The police can file a report, gather witness statements, and take chemical tests.
- Documenting the scene. One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Make sure to capture the damage done to all vehicles and property involved.
- Obtaining witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their phone number/ email. They may be able to corroborate your version of events later on.
- Going to the hospital. Even if you do not feel injured, you should seek medical attention. Sometimes, you can sustain an injury without being aware, or have an injury that does not show symptoms until days or weeks later. Before leaving, make sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contacting a skilled personal injury attorney. A personal injury attorney can help you gather more evidence and help you recover the compensation you deserve.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
If you wish to pursue legal action, you will have to do so within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury accident is generally two years. This means that if you fail to file within two years of the accident, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover compensation. Retain the help of an experienced personal injury attorney to avoid missing any deadlines.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in New Jersey, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced and dedicated attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!