As the weather gets warmer in New Jersey and the summer begins, people are usually excited to open their pools for the season. While this is a fun amenity to have, it is important to remember that they need the proper care to ensure they do not become hazardous. Failure to do so can cause accidents to happen that result in injuries or even death. Continue reading below to learn more and contact a New Jersey personal injury attorney if you or a loved one was harmed in a swimming pool accident.
Pool Safety Precautions
All property owners have an obligation to keep their grounds safe. This is especially so when they have a pool, as it attracts more people to their property and increases the risk of accidents. It is because of this that pool owners must do everything they can to avoid accidents from happening. This can be done by implementing the following safety precautions:
- Do not leave a child unattended in the water or near it
- If the pool is deep and people are not able to stand, make sure they are capable swimmers before letting them in the pool
- Stay away from drains and be sure pools have drain covers
- Install proper barriers, covers, alarms, and fencing on and around the pool
- Stow away any portable ladders when the pool is not being used. Children who cannot swim are often attracted to pools and removing ladders can prevent them from climbing into the pool and harming themselves.
- Pool owners may wish to know how to perform CPR just in case someone is drowning
- Always swim sober
- Avoid electrocution by prohibiting electronic devices near the poor
- Let swimmers know where there are shallow areas where they cannot dive
Recovering Compensation After Swimming Pool Accidents
If a swimming pool accident happens due to the negligence of a pool owner, the injured parties or loved ones of a deceased individual can pursue legal action to hold them responsible. In doing so, they are required to prove negligence with evidence that shows the pool owner’s behavior directly caused the accident. Helpful evidence can include pictures or videos of the pool, medical documentation of any injuries, and witnesses to the incident.
Contact our Firm
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an automobile accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!