According to the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. The NSC estimates that 42,060 people have died in U.S. car accidents in 2020. As a result, it is important to know how these accidents are occurring and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about car accidents in New Jersey.
How Do Car Accidents Occur?
Car accidents can occur for any number of reasons. Some accidents are due to poor road conditions, inclement weather, or faulty car parts. But, many of these accidents are caused by negligence. Some of the most common examples of negligence include:
- Making illegal turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Otherwise driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
What Do I Do After an Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene: It is important to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Make sure to capture the damage done to any cars and property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts: If someone saw the accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: Immediately after an accident, you should visit the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an experienced attorney: A skilled personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, including security camera footage and police reports.
- Make sure to file your claim on time: In New Jersey, you will generally have two years from the date of the accident to take legal action.
If you have been injured in a car accident in New Jersey, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced and dedicated attorney. We will fight to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!