When an auto accident happens, it can cause serious, life-changing injuries to those involved. Sometimes, these accidents can happen due to human error. However, other times it can be due to negligent driving. When a driver finds themselves in these situations, they can pursue legal action against the negligent party in order to recover compensation for the damages incurred. Continue reading below to learn more about what to do after an accident and contact a New Jersey personal injury attorney for assistance with your case.
What do I do After an Accident?
No matter what type of vehicle is involved in an accident, there are certain steps that should be implemented in order to maximize the chances of a successful claim. This includes:
- Call the police. This should be done even if the other party involved tells you not to. The police can keep the scene safe, draft a police report, take witness statements, etc.
- Do not apologize, as it can sometimes be seen as an admission of fault. Instead, simply be polite and avoid apologies.
- Take pictures or video of the scene of the accident. This can include any broken glass, deployed airbags, skid marks, bloodstains, inclement weather or poor road conditions.
- Write down the contact information of any witnesses as well as the registration information of the vehicles involved.
- Seek medical attention immediately. This should be done even if you do not feel injured, as symptoms can manifest later on.
Pursuing Legal Action
When a person sustains an injury in an auto accident, it often comes with a variety of physical, emotional, and financial burdens. Coverage for these costs can be pursued through legal action in order to recover compensation. To do so, the injured party must file a personal injury claim. During this time, they are required to prove negligence occurred and directly caused the injuries they sustained. This can be done with evidence such as medical documentation of the injuries, pictures or video of the scene, witness statements, a police report, and more.
Contact our Firm
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an automobile accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!