Ideally, you will not post on social media at all after a personal injury accident. You might assume posting on your social media accounts is harmless, but it actually does much more harm than good. Read on to learn more about the impact social media can have on your personal injury case.
It can be tempting to keep your friends and family in the loop through various apps and sites. What many people don’t realize is that insurance agents and defense attorneys may also be looking at your social media. So, while you are keeping your loved ones up to date, you are also providing the defense with lots of information about your case.
The Best Things to do After an Accident:
- Set your accounts to private.
- You should make your accounts private and avoid accepting any new follow requests unless they are from people you know personally. Otherwise, it may be someone from the other party attempting to obtain your information.
- Refrain from posting statements or photos.
- You may accidentally admit fault if you tell the story of your accident. Even the slightest misphrase can impact your case.
- If you claim to be injured and then post a photo of yourself engaging in some sort of activity, a defense attorney may argue that you are less injured than you say, or that you have not even been injured at all. It is definitely best to avoid posting any selfies, photos of your injury, or pictures of your recovery process.
- Warn your friends and family.
- You should ask that your friends and family refrain from posting any photos of or with you.
- Avoid posting too often.
- Your emotional suffering may be a large aspect of your personal injury case. If you post too often, you may appear emotionally unaffected. Additionally, if you reassure your friends and family that you are doing well, you are also giving the defense access to this information, which they may try to use to their advantage.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to receive compensation. Contact our firm today to discuss your case. If you have any questions about your social media presence after an accident, don’t hesitate to reach out.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an automobile accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!