When you live in an apartment, you trust that your landlord will keep the property safe. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. If an apartment building is not properly maintained, serious accidents can occur. Read on to learn more about apartment accidents in New Jersey and what to do if an injury occurs.
How do Apartment Accidents Occur?
Apartment accidents can occur in a number of ways. Many of these accidents are due to landlord negligence. Some examples include defective smoke or carbon monoxide detectors, unsafe stairwells, mold/asbestos, and more.
What do I do if I am Injured in an Apartment?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof that this negligence occurred. You can do this by:
- Calling 911: The police can call an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, gather witness statements, and more.
- Documenting the scene: One of the most important things you can do is take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- If anyone witnessed the accident, ask for their contact information, they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: You should visit the hospital immediately after your accident occurs. This will provide you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney: If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But it is important that you act quickly. In New Jersey, you will generally have two years from the date of the accident to file your claim. Missing this deadline will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an apartment accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Our firm is here to fight for you. Reach out today to speak with an experienced attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!