Many of us use elevators every day. As a result, we don’t often consider the dangers. Elevator accidents can cause serious injuries. Read on to learn more about how these accidents occur and what to do in the event of an injury.
What are Common Types of Elevator Accidents?
Common causes of injuries can include:
- Electrocutions due to faulty wiring
- Tripping due to uneven or unbalanced leveling with the floor
- Falling down the elevator shafts
- Getting caught in between malfunctioning doors
- Being whipped around due to excessive elevator speed
- Elevator fires
What Do I Do if I Have Been Injured?
There are many different ways that an elevator accident can happen in New Jersey. If the manufacturer does not follow protocol during production or a property owner does not maintain the machine, it can become defective and malfunction. This means that your injury may be due to another party’s negligence. If this is the case, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your injuries. In order to do so, it is important to:
- Call 911: The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct witness statements, and more.
- Document the scene: Be sure to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. If possible, document the hazardous conditions that caused the accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone else was in the elevator, or at the scene of the accident, ask for their contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: One of the most important things you can do is visit the hospital immediately after an accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Be sure to ask for a copy of any relevant medical bills/documents.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney: An attorney may be able to gather evidence you would not otherwise be able to access. For example, an experienced attorney may be able to obtain security camera footage, police reports, and more.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an elevator accident, contact our firm to speak with an experienced attorney today.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!