Motorcycle accidents can have life-altering results. Therefore, it is important to know how these accidents occur, how you can protect yourself, and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about motorcycle accidents in New Jersey.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in New Jersey
Motorcycle accidents can happen for several reasons, including inclement weather conditions, poorly maintained roads, or faulty mechanical parts. However, the most common cause of motorcycle accidents is driver negligence. Some of the most common types of driver negligence include:
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Unsafely changing lanes
- Ignoring blind spots
- Disregarding traffic lights, signs, or all other rules and regulations of the road
Do Motorcyclists Have PIP in New Jersey?
In New Jersey, motorcyclists are not covered under personal injury protection, known as PIP. PIP is a form of no-fault insurance that covers injured motorists’ medical expenses and lost wages after an accident. However, without PIP, motorcyclists are left to pay their own way, unless they have purchased their own health insurance or collect damages from the person who caused the accident. As a result, you will need the help of an experienced attorney to recover the compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. You can do this by:
- Calling 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene: Taking photos and videos at the scene of the accident can greatly help your case. Some motorcyclists wear bodycams so that they have footage of any accidents that occur.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to go to the hospital immediately after an accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are properly treated, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
Reach out today to speak with our team of experienced and knowledgeable attorneys.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!