If you or a loved one has been injured by a drunk driver in New Jersey, you are likely looking to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about drunk driving accidents and some of the most important steps to take after an accident occurs.
Can I Hold an Establishment Responsible for a Drunk Driving Accident in New Jersey?
New Jersey is one of the many states that have dram shop laws. These laws allow victims of drunk driving accidents to recover compensation from an establishment if you can prove that they were partially responsible for the accident. An establishment may be responsible in the following cases:
- You can prove that the establishment overserved an already intoxicated individual. For example, a bartender recognized that a patron was visibly intoxicated and continued to serve them anyway. Signs of visible intoxication can include glassy eyes, slurred speech, stumbling, etc.
- You can prove that the establishment served alcohol to an individual under the age of 21.
If one of the above scenarios occurred and the driver then went on to cause an accident, it is likely that the establishment can be held responsible.
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
When it comes to a personal injury case, you will have to provide proof that some form of negligence occurred to cause your accident. In order to do this, you should be sure to:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, administer a breathalyzer test, and conduct field sobriety tests. These tests will help determine how intoxicated the driver was at the time of the accident.
- Document the scene: If possible, take photos and videos at the scene of the accident, documenting any damage done to all of the cars and property involved.
- Seek medical attention: Going to the hospital will provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an attorney: An experienced personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including police reports, security camera footage, and more.
Reach out to our firm to speak with an experienced and dedicated attorney. We will fight to recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!