Car accidents can result in severe physical, emotional, and financial harm to those affected. If you were injured as a result of another’s negligence, you will need to retain the services of a skilled New Jersey personal injury attorney as soon as possible to begin your claims process.
How do car accidents occur?
There are several ways that car accidents can occur. However, the most common cause is typically driver negligence. The driver negligence our firm has frequently seen includes the following:
- Making illegal turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Otherwise driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
What are my options if I was hurt in a car accident?
If you are hurt in a car accident as a result of another’s negligence, you will need to take the following steps:
- Call 911. The police will be able to dispatch an ambulance, file an accident report, collect witness testimony and perform chemical tests.
- It is also important that you gather any contact information from witnesses to the accident. Their testimony will be beneficial later on in your personal injury claim.
- Take photos and videos of the damage done to all vehicles involved in the crash.
- Seek medical treatment, even if you do not feel injured. In some cases, you can sustain an injury without knowledge, or have an injury that does not show symptoms until days or weeks later.
- Retain the services of a skilled personal injury attorney. With the help of an attorney, you can ensure that your claim will be timely filed, and you will have an experienced legal professional making sure that you recover the compensation you deserve.
How long do I have to file a claim for car accidents in New Jersey?
If you were injured in a car accident due to another’s negligence and you want to pursue legal action, it is imperative that you promptly file your personal injury claim. In the state of New Jersey, the statute of limitations is two years. This means that you are required to file your car accident claim within two years from the date of the accident in order to receive the compensation you deserve.
Contact an experienced personal injury attorney at Lutz Injury Law today to get started.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an automobile accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!