Truck accidents can be incredibly serious. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event that an accident occurs. If you are injured due to the negligence of a truck driver, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about truck accidents in New Jersey and what to do in the event of an injury.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can be caused by a number of different issues, including inclement weather and poor road conditions. But, the majority of truck accidents are a result of driver negligence. The most common examples of negligence include:
- Lack of visibility due to large blind spots
- Drowsy driving
- Truckers are often required to work 70-hour workweeks, allowing for very little sleep. Working more than 70 hours a week can be considered negligent.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Cell phone use behind the wheel
- Speeding, improper lane changes, following too closely behind other vehicles
- Failure to brake in time, as trucks need nearly 2 football fields in length to come to a complete stop
- Mechanical issues that have not been resolved
What Do I Do If I Am Involved in an Accident?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. But, in order to do so, you will have to provide proof of negligence. This can be done by taking the following steps:
- Call 911. The police can call an ambulance, direct traffic away from the scene, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene. It is important to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Make sure to capture any damage done to your car, the truck, and any property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur, you should obtain their contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events if needed.
- Seek medical attention. It is important to go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care clinic right away. Make sure to get your injuries treated by a medical professional. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident in New Jersey, contact our firm to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney today.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you have been the victim of the negligence of another in an accident, please contact my office as quickly as possible following the subject accident. It is important to consult with us early on so that we may begin the process of fighting for your rights in regard to any potential claim that you may have. The process is complicated and requires the expertise of a qualified New Jersey personal injury attorney. CONTACT US TODAY!